Alexa

NKorea criticizes US for defense spending

NKorea criticizes US for defense spending

North Korea criticized the U.S. for seeking to increase its military spending, vowing Wednesday to bolster its own defense capabilities to cope with what it calls increasing American threats.
Early last month, U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates proposed a $534 billion defense budget for 2010, which would be an increase over the $513 billion for 2009. The proposal has been submitted to the U.S. Congress and awaits approval.
The North's main Rodong Sinmun newspaper said in a commentary that the proposed budget would intensify an international arms race and parts of the money would be spent to "militarily threaten and invade" the North.
It's essential for the North to "continue to strengthen its self-defense power to cope with increasing U.S. military threats," said the commentary, carried by the country's official Korean Central News Agency.
The North has long accused the U.S. of plotting to attack, though Washington has repeatedly said it has no such plan. The U.S. stations 28,500 troops in South Korea as a deterrence against the North.
Tension on the Korean peninsula have spiked since the North launched a rocket on April 5 in defiance of international warnings.
Pyongyang said it put a satellite into orbit as part of its peaceful space development program, but the U.S. and its allies have said that nothing made it into space and the blast was a cover to test the country's advanced missile technology.
The U.N. Security Council denounced the launch and imposed sanctions on North Korean companies, prompting Pyongyang to boycott six-nation disarmament talks on its nuclear programs and threaten to conduct nuclear and missile tests.
The State Department said Tuesday it would dispatch its top negotiator on North Korea to Asia this week for talks with countries involved in the stalled six-party nuclear talks.
Special U.S. envoy Stephen Bosworth is to arrive in China on Thursday and then move on to South Korea, Japan and Russia, but has no plans to travel to North Korea, according to State Department spokesman Robert Wood.


Updated : 2020-12-04 20:06 GMT+08:00