Alexa

Brazil's Ronaldo waits for Corinthians debut

Brazil's Ronaldo waits for Corinthians debut

Brazilian striker Ronaldo may have to wait until March to make his debut for Corinthians after struggling to recover his fitness following long-term injury.
Ronaldo, a three-time FIFA World Player of the Year who underwent knee surgery last February, said Wednesday his recovery was "going well" but that he was still not fit enough to restart his career.
"I've been training well and losing weight," Ronaldo said. "But we still can't set a date for my return. It's not going to be this month, maybe not even in February. I'm still not ready to play.
"The most intelligent thing for me to do is to wait until I'm 100 percent fit before entering the field."
A member of Brazil's World Cup winning squads in 1994 and 2002, Ronaldo said earlier this week that he had lost more than 3 kilograms (6 pounds) since he signed with the Brazilian club last year.
The 32-year-old forward, whose previous teams in Europe include Barcelona, Inter Milan, Real Madrid and AC Milan, is already training with his Corinthians teammates. However, he doesn't take part in all of the drills yet.
A four-time national champion, Corinthians is returning to the Brazilian league's top flight in 2009 after spending a year in the second division.
The team will face Argentina's Estudiantes on Jan. 17, and its first official match of the season is set for Jan. 21 against Barueri in the Sao Paulo state championship.


Updated : 2021-01-17 05:20 GMT+08:00