Alexa
  • Directory of Taiwan

Japan group says Tokyo auto show is still on

Japan group says Tokyo auto show is still on

This year's Tokyo Motor Show is still on, the industry group host for the biannual event said Wednesday, denying a report that a possible cancellation was being discussed.
Nobuyuki Takahashi, spokesman for the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association, said there were no scheduling changes for the exhibition set for late October at Makuhari Messe hall in the Tokyo suburb of Chiba.
He denied the report in Automotive News earlier this week, which said the organization was debating whether to cancel the show, partly because some "non-Japanese automakers" weren't taking part amid the global financial crisis. A decision was expected next month, the report said.
Auto shows are meant to give manufacturers a chance to show "concept models" and give visitors an idea of models that are on sale. But the global slowdown has forced automakers to cut costs, and Nissan Motor Co., Mitsubishi Motors Corp. and Porsche SE of Germany decided not to participate in the Detroit Auto Show this month.
Toshihiro Iwatake, JAMA's executive director and secretary general, was quoted as saying by Automotive News that "a couple companies are not in favor of organizing the show under these conditions, but that is not JAMA's opinion."
Takahashi said Iwatake gave the interview, but denied cancellation was being talked about in the group. He declined to say which companies were taking part in the show, saying that a list will be announced in March.
"There is no discussion," about a possible cancellation , Takahashi said. "And that means there have been no such requests."
The show's dates have been announced as running from Oct. 23 through Nov. 8, with Oct. 21-22 scheduled as press days.
It was not immediately clear whether the Detroit "Big Three" automakers were exhibiting at the show. But a person close to the matter who requested anonymity because of the delicacy of the situation, said General Motors Corp. was skipping it.
Toyota Motor Corp., Honda Motor Corp. and Nissan Motor Co. said Wednesday they planned to take part in the Tokyo show as usual.
"There are absolutely no plans for a cancellation," said Toyota spokesman Hideaki Homma.
Nissan was also working on the show already, spokeswoman Pauline Kee said.
"We believe that it is important to maintain the high quality of our brand communication to be expected at a major international motor show," she said.
The Japanese car market, which has been stagnant for years, is seeing sales plunge as consumers hold off on big-scale buys amid growing fears about a global slowdown. Imports make up only a tiny portion of this market, mostly luxury models.


Updated : 2021-05-13 02:57 GMT+08:00