Alexa

Chela beaten by Calleri, Moya loses, Nalbandian advances in Acapulco

Chela beaten by Calleri, Moya loses, Nalbandian advances in Acapulco

Defending champion Juan Ignacio Chela and two-time winner Carlos Moya were eliminated in the second round of the Abierto Mexicano on Wednesday.
Fifth-seeded Chela, who beat Moya in last year's final, lost to 2003 champ Agustin Calleri 7-6 (4), 2-6, 6-1.
No. 2-seeded Moya, champion in 2002 and '04, fell 6-4, 6-2 to Nicolas Massu of Chile.
Also ousted were No. 3 Juan Monaco and No. 4 Guillermo Canas of Argentina.
However, countryman and top seed David Nalbandian stayed on course for a second title in two weeks when the Buenos Aires champion rolled past Santiago Ventura of Spain 6-2, 6-3 to reach the quarterfinals.
"You have to play game by game and tomorrow I have a tough one against (Potito) Starace," Nalbandian said.
In the headline matchup of the round, Chela and Argentine compatriot Calleri broke each other three times each in the first set which had to be settled in a tiebreaker Calleri won 7-4.
Chela pushed ahead 4-1 in claiming the second set, but Calleri broke in the opening game of the final set, went up 4-0 and broke Chela a third time in the set and sixth time overall for the match.
Massu improved his record against to Moya to 3-2. He ended a five-match losing streak on tour to reach his second quarterfinals of the year.
Massu will meet No. 6 Nicolas Almagro, who moved into his third straight quarterfinals on Latin America's claycourt swing when he defeated Italian Filippo Volandri 6-3, 6-3.
Almagro won his third career title at Costa do Sauipe, Brazil then retired while leading in the quarterfinals last week in Buenos Aires with a groin injury.
"Yesterday I served 13 aces, today 12. I'm happy, working a lot in all of the facets of my tennis," Almagro said.
No. 3 Monaco lost to Luis Horna of Peru, the 2006 champion, 7-6 (4), 6-3. Horna plays Calleri on Thursday.
No. 4 Guillermo Canas, who started his 2008 season only on Tuesday with a first-round victory, lost his second match when he was overcome by fellow Argentine, the in-form Jose Acasuso, 4-6, 6-2, 6-2.
Afterward, Canas apologized to countryman Carlos Berlocq whom he beat on Tuesday. Berlocq asked for a doctor to check a stomach pain during their second set, and Canas called Berlocq's behavior "trash."
"Those comments came in the heat of the moment, while leaving the court," Canas said on Wednesday. "When one is mad one can make comments that shouldn't be made."
Unseeded Acasuso has also reached his third quarterfinals this month, including a runner-up finish on Sunday in Buenos Aires.
"I'm here after having a good week in Buenos Aires and I've been able to keep my game level here so, I feel really happy. I hope to keep advancing," Acasuso said.
He will face Spanish qualifier Marcel Granollers-Pujol after he beat countryman Albert Montanes 6-2, 7-6 (6).
Eighth-seeded Potito Starace of Italy defeated Peter Luczak of Australia 6-3, 6-3 and faces Nalbandian.
In women's play, top-seeded Flavia Pennetta downed Germany's Julia Schruff 6-2, 6-3 and said she has more to offer.
"I push myself very hard ... it was a good game but not an incredible game," Pennetta said. "The important thing was to win and go on."
Second-seeded Alize Cornet of France beat Mexican wild card Melissa Torres Sandoval 6-2, 6-0 but third-seeded Klara Zakopalova of the Czech Republic, runner-up in Vina del Mar to Pennetta just over a week ago, was upset by American veteran Jill Craybas 6-1, 4-6, 7-6 (2) in a 2 hour, 22 minute match.
No. 7 Kaia Kanepi of Estonia and No. 8 Edina Gallovits of Romania won, but No. 5 Sara Errani of Italy and No. 6 Yvonne Meusburger of Austria lost.
In the quarterfinals, it will be Pennetta vs. Gallovits, Kanepi vs. Sorana Cirstea of Romania, Craybas vs. Iveta Benesova of the Czech Republic, and Cornet vs. Mariya Koryttseva of Ukraine.


Updated : 2021-04-16 18:37 GMT+08:00