Alexa
  • Directory of Taiwan

Denture cleaners tied to allergies, death, U.S. says

Denture cleaners tied to allergies, death, U.S. says

One person died and at least 72 others got sick in the past 11 years after suffering allergic reactions to denture cleaners or misusing the products, U.S. regulators said.
The reactions were probably caused by persulfate, a known allergen used in most denture cleaners as bleach, according to a notice posted on Monday on the Food and Drug Administration's Web site. Other side effects, including abdominal pain and vomiting, suggest that some people misused the products by chewing, gargling or swallowing them instead of cleaning the dentures in a separate container, the FDA said.
The agency urged doctors and consumers to beware of the risks and recommended that manufacturers update warnings and instructions on packages. GlaxoSmithKline Plc, maker of the Polident cleaner, and Procter & Gamble Co., maker of the Fixodent cleaner, said their products are safe when used as directed.
"The amount of persulfate contained in Polident is lower than the level that is known to cause an allergic reaction," said Jennifer May, a spokeswoman for London-based Glaxo, in an e-mailed statement. "Millions of consumers have used Polident" and have reported "a very low number of product complaints or adverse reactions."


Updated : 2021-05-12 23:59 GMT+08:00