Alexa

War crimes suspect sent back to Hague court after violation

War crimes suspect sent back to Hague court after violation

A key Croatian war crimes suspect was transferred to the U.N. tribunal yesterday after breaching the terms of his provisional release as he awaits trial, his lawyer said.
Retired General Mladen Markac's hunting trip last week - which went against The Hague-based court's orders not to leave his Zagreb home unless authorized - triggered the resignation Saturday of Croatian Interior Minister Ivica Kirin, who accompanied him.
Kirin expressed his "regrets and apology" for the incident in a letter to Prime Minister Ivo Sanader after photos were published in Croatian newspapers showing him, Markac and others standing over a dead wild boar.
Kirin's ministry was responsible for controlling the movements of Markac, who was granted provisional release in 2004 while awaiting trial on charges including murder, inhumane acts and cruel treatment.
The Hague court ordered Markac arrested and transferred to its cells. He was detained Saturday and left for the Netherlands on a commercial flight yesterday, said his lawyer, Goran Mikulicic.
Markac will be tried together with General Ante Gotovina, formerly the country's top military commander, and his right hand man, General Ivan Cermak. They will be the highest-ranked Croatian suspects to go before the tribunal.
The three are accused of orchestrating the killing of at least 150 Serbs and the expulsion of thousands of others.


Updated : 2021-04-17 02:37 GMT+08:00