Alexa

Prosecutors hold off on charging Zuma

Prosecutors hold off on charging Zuma

South African prosecutors are likely to wait at least two weeks before deciding whether to file charges against the new African National Congress president and the country's police chief, a newspaper said yesterday.
The National Prosecuting Authority recently said it had enough evidence to re-charge ANC President Jacob Zuma, now the frontrunner to become the country's president in 2009, with corruption in connection with an arms deal. The case against the populist Zulu politician collapsed last year due to procedural matters.
The NPA also is believed to be investigating allegations of criminal conduct by Jackie Selebi, the national police commissioner, who has been accused of ties to organized crime.
Zuma, who was elected to lead the ANC at a congress last week, and Selebi, who is also president of international crime-fighting agency Interpol, have denied any wrongdoing.
Decisions in the cases are not expected until Mokotedi Mpshe, the acting head of the NPA, returns from vacation on January 7, reports say.
A prosecution of Zuma, who was acquitted of separate rape charges last year, could split the ANC and derail his hopes of succeeding current South African President Thabo Mbeki.


Updated : 2021-04-11 11:51 GMT+08:00