Alexa

KMT pushes Cabinet to fill NCC vacancy

KMT pushes Cabinet to fill NCC vacancy

The opposition Kuomintang yesterday warned that it will boycott the central government annual budget for the upcoming fiscal year unless the Cabinet speedily sends list of nominees for first National Communications Commission to the lawmaking body.

Government Information Office Director General Yao Wen-chih explained that 13 candidates had been selected on December 11, but one nominee, Lu Chung-chin, declined to take the position, despite the urging of the Cabinet.

The list has not been forwarded to the Legislature within the required seven-day period because it is not complete, Yao said.

The issue seems likely to impact on other matters in the Legislature, as opposition KMT and People First Party legislators walked out of a cross-party negotiation session Monday hosted by Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) to discuss the central government's 2006 annual budget.

KMT Chairman Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) also advised that the Cabinet should not delay the NCC nomination and appointment protest, while KMT spokeswoman Cheng Li-wen (鄭麗文) urged that the 13th slot should be filled as soon as possible.

KMT Legislator Justin Chou (周守訓) said the Cabinet was in violation of the NCC Organic Law that specifies the list of NCC nominees should be sent to the Legislature for approval within one week. In response, Yao said the government is considering how to fill the empty slot and stated that the delay was not deliberate.


Updated : 2021-02-25 13:48 GMT+08:00