Alexa
  • Directory of Taiwan

Bangladesh wins Twenty20 match in New Zealand

Bangladesh wins Twenty20 match in New Zealand

Bangladesh won its first match in New Zealand in three tours when it beat a New Zealand XI by four wickets in a Twenty20 game yesterday.
Farhad Reza scored 31 from 17 balls and shared a 48-run fifth wicket partnership with Mehrab Hossain to guide Bangladesh to 134-6 in reply to New Zealand XI's 133-7 and victory with three overs to spare.
The win would boost confidence ahead of Bangladesh's three-match limited overs series against New Zealand starting on Boxing Day.
Previously on this tour, Bangladesh had lost to a Northern Districts provincial side and to an Auckland team in limited overs matches.
It failed to achieve a win in any form of the game on their first two tours.
The New Zealand XI contained the nucleus of the New Zealand team it will play in the upcoming limited overs series. Of the New Zealand players only Scott Styris, who made 29 from 22 balls, made a significant contribution with the bat.
Bangladesh bowled accurately and fielded well to set up its victory. Shahadat Hossain took 3-15 from four overs and captain Mohammad Ashraful took 2-28. The Bangladesh batsman showed occasional vulnerability against fast, short-pitched bowling but mounted a well-managed run chase. Ashraful scored 20 from 10 balls - hitting a four and six from the first two balls he faced - and Aftad Ahmed contributed 20 from 15 balls.
The match was organized to raise money for victims of Cyclone Sidr which killed more than 3,200 people when it hit Bangladesh five weeks ago. The International Cricket Council donated US$250,000 to the fund.
Battling racism
Fans at Australia's first test against India could be banned from the Melbourne Cricket Ground for life if they are found to be involved in racial taunting of players and other fans, Cricket Australia said yesterday.
Anyone caught doing so by undercover surveillance officers would be ejected from the ground and face further action, a CA spokesman told Melbourne's Herald Sun newspaper.
"Our message to any mindless people who are thinking of going down that path is we won't tolerate that sort of thing," CA spokesman Peter Young told the newspaper.
"We will find anyone who does it, they will be ejected from the ground and they face life bans from ever re-entering the ground."
Police will also be checking for any offensive or racist slogans on banners while patrons will be encouraged to report any behavior to groundstaff or the police.
The players' behavior will also be monitored.
Australia all-rounder Andrew Symonds was the subject of racial abuse on its tour of India earlier this year.
The first match of the four-test series between Australia and India begins at the MCG on December 26.


Updated : 2021-05-13 23:58 GMT+08:00