Ticketed jaywalker dies of injuries
A 73-year-old man who received a US$5 jaywalking ticket after he was struck by a car later died from his injuries, police said Monday.
Charles Atherton, a former secretary of the U.S. Commission on Fine Arts that advises the government on architecture and design in official Washington, was hit Thursday while crossing busy Connecticut Avenue. He died Saturday night at George Washington University Hospital.
Although witnesses said he was badly injured and unresponsive at the scene, police issued him the ticket. His family found it with his belongings when they went to the hospital.
"We knew it was a serious injury, but we didn't know it was life-threatening," police Captain Willie Smith told The Washington Post in a story for Tuesday editions. He said officers would not have issued the ticket "if we knew he was going to die."
JOHANNESBURG, South Africa
South Africa's dismissed deputy president was charged with rape yesterday, prosecutors said, ending weeks of speculation in the local media about whether the case would go to trial.
Jacob Zuma, who remains the No. 2 of the governing African National Congress, appeared briefly in the Johannesburg Magistrates Court and was released on 20,000 rands (US$3,075) bail, according to a statement from the National Prosecuting Authority.
Trial was set for February 13. No details of the case were released.
Reports that Zuma allegedly raped a family friend surfaced in local newspapers last month. Police and prosecutors declined to comment on the case until Tuesday, saying they were investigating whether there was sufficient evidence to press charges. Zuma has denied the allegations.
The Reverend Fred Shuttlesworth, who worked with the late Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. in the fight against segregation, said he will retire from the ministry but will not stop fighting racial injustice.
A non-cancerous brain tumor that was successfully removed in August made him decide to retire earlier than planned, Shuttlesworth said Monday.
"I feel that the Lord is telling me that I have served well enough that I can think about not being so intense in my actions," Shuttlesworth said. "But I will continue to push for human rights. I can't stop that."
Saudi couple accused
The U.S. Labor Department has filed a civil lawsuit Monday against a Saudi Arabian couple accused of keeping an Indonesian woman as a virtual slave for four years while the husband repeatedly sexually assaulted her.
Homaidan Al-Turki and his wife Sarah Khonaizan already faces federal criminal charges of forced labor, document servitude and harboring an illegal immigrant. Al-Turki also faces state charges of rape, kidnapping, false imprisonment and extortion, and Khonaizan faces state charges of kidnapping, false imprisonment and extortion.
Both face up to life in prison if convicted.