Alexa

Bodies of Chinese killed in Ethiopia arrive home

Bodies of Chinese killed in Ethiopia arrive home

The bodies of nine Chinese killed in an attack on an oil exploration facility in Ethiopia last week arrived home in central China on Monday, state media reported.
Xinhua News Agency said a chartered Air China plane carrying the victims in nine coffins covered with white peonies arrived at 2:30 a.m. at Xinzheng, southeast of Henan province's capital, Zhengzhou.
Seven Chinese and two Ethiopian oil workers kidnapped in the attack were released Sunday. Xinhua quoted the Chinese Foreign Ministry as saying the seven were safe.
The Ogaden National Liberation Front claimed responsibility for the April 24 attack, which also killed 65 Ethiopians, at the Chinese exploration field in eastern Ethiopia.
The front, a group of ethnic Somalis from Ethiopia's eastern Ogaden region, says it is fighting for the area's right to self-determination.
Patrick Megevand, spokesman for the International Committee of the Red Cross in Ethiopia, said the kidnapped men had been freed, but declined to provide any other details.
"They've been handed over to the ICRC," he said.


Updated : 2020-11-30 04:41 GMT+08:00