Alexa
  • Directory of Taiwan

Taiwan Tobacco & Liquor Corp stops production of Red-Label Rice Wine

The pure rice wine is made entirely of Ponlai rice

  2439
TTL Red-Label Pure Rice Wine (left), Red-Label Rice Wine

TTL Red-Label Pure Rice Wine (left), Red-Label Rice Wine (CNA photo)

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — Taiwan Tobacco & Liquor Corp (TTL) on Thursday (March 11) said that it has stopped production of its Red-Label Rice Wine, as sales of the product have declined over the years.

TTL has two kinds of 300ml rice wine products — the Red-Label Rice Wine (紅標米酒) and Red-Label Pure Rice Wine (紅標純米酒). The packages of the two products look alike; the only difference is the color of their labels, with Red-Label Rice Wine's being pink and Red-Label Pure Rice Wine's being yellow.

The rice wine sells for NT$40 (US$1.40) per bottle, while the pure rice wine sells for NT$45.

TTL Vice President Liao Chih-chien (廖志堅) said the pure rice wine is made entirely from Ponlai rice, while the other kind, though also made from that rice variety, is mixed with alcohol, CNA reported. He said pure rice wine is very popular in the eastern counties of Hualien and Taitung, where people both drink it and use it for cooking.

Liao added that the combined sales of the two products were about 12 million bottles last year, of which the pure rice wine accounted for 70 percent. The other product only accounted for 30 percent, prompting the company to stop producing it.


Updated : 2021-06-21 19:32 GMT+08:00