2,000 applicants turn up for 59 job openings at Taiwan’s main airport

Air travel will pick up quickly once coronavirus pandemic over: TIAC

  4524
TIAC organized written tests for job applicants in Taipei Saturday (Sept. 5).

TIAC organized written tests for job applicants in Taipei Saturday (Sept. 5). (CNA photo)

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — Despite the travel crisis caused by the Wuhan coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, 2,000 people still turned up to take part in written tests for 59 available job openings at Taoyuan International Airport Corporation (TIAC), reports said Saturday (Sept. 5).

While travel at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport is limited, the company is confident it will resume once the pandemic is over, explaining why the airport needs new staff and why so many candidates showed up, CNA reported.

Work on Taoyuan’s third terminal and third runway continues unabated, yet another sign of confidence in the future of air travel and international tourism, according to TIAC.

About 30 percent of the openings available Saturday were for entry jobs which can be done by inexperienced staff, thus attracting new graduates. The other 70 percent were targeted at experienced applicants with specific degrees and certifications.

The results of Saturday’s written tests will be announced on Oct. 7, with a round of oral exams scheduled for Oct. 24. At present, the government has no plans to reopen the country to mass tourism.