Medical workers offload cylinders of oxygen at the Donka public hospital where coronavirus patients are treated in Conakry, Guinea, on Wednesday, May ...
Medical workers offload cylinders of oxygen at the Donka public hospital where coronavirus patients are treated in Conakry, Guinea, on Wednesday, May 20, 2020. Before the coronavirus crisis, the hospital in the capital was going through 20 oxygen cylinders a day. By May, the hospital was at 40 a day and rising, according to Dr. Billy Sivahera of the aid group Alliance for International Medical Action. Oxygen is the the facility's fastest-growing expense, and the daily deliveries of cylinders are taking their toll on budgets. (AP Photo/Youssouf Bah)
In this handout photo taken Sunday, June 21, 2020 and provided by Olga Burtseva, children play in the Krugloe lake outside Verkhoyansk, the Sakha Repu...
In this handout photo taken Sunday, June 21, 2020 and provided by Olga Burtseva, children play in the Krugloe lake outside Verkhoyansk, the Sakha Republic, about 4660 kilometers (2900 miles) northeast of Moscow, Russia. A record-breaking temperature of 38 degrees Celsius (100.4 degrees Fahrenheit) was registered in the Arctic town of Verkhoyansk on Saturday, June 20 in a prolonged heatwave that has alarmed scientists around the world. (Olga Burtseva via AP)
FILE - In this Sept. 23, 2017, file photo, Oakland Athletics catcher Bruce Maxwell kneels during the national anthem before the team's baseball game a...
FILE - In this Sept. 23, 2017, file photo, Oakland Athletics catcher Bruce Maxwell kneels during the national anthem before the team's baseball game against the Texas Rangers in Oakland, Calif. Maxwell is the only major leaguer to take a knee during the playing of "The Star-Spangled Banner" before a game. Major leaguers have not, in general, been the first set of players in pro sports to speak out on issues of social injustice. We'll see what stances they take on and off the field when games return. (AP Photo/Eric Risberg, File)
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. REPUBLICANS OPPOSED BY TRUMP WIN In North Carolina, voters picked 24-year-old investor Madison Cawthorn over real estate agent Lynda Bennett and Kentucky Rep. Thomas Massie was renominated for a sixth House term.
2. ‘ONE LIFE IS NOT WORTH MORE THAN ANOTHER’ The spread of coronavirus is prompting soaring demand for oxygen. But in much of the world, medical oxygen is expensive and hard to get — a basic marker of inequality.
3. ARCTIC WARMING AT ALARMING RATE The increasing temperatures in Siberia have been linked to wildfires that grow bigger and more severe every year, and the thawing of the permafrost.
4. HOW EXPERTS VIEW OFFICERS’ ARBITRATION RIGHTS They say the appeals process used by most law enforcement agencies contributes to officer misconduct, limits public oversight, dampens morale and jeopardizes criminal cases handled by dishonest officers.
5. BASEBALL WILL LOOK DIFFERENT UPON RETURN The season is now going to be a 60-game sprint to the finish, held in ballparks without fans and feature some unusual rules.