Indonesian man fifth victim of deadly bridge collapse in NE Taiwan

Indonesian migrant worker fifth victim of tragic Taiwan bridge collapse, 1 fisherman still missing


(CNA photo)

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — The body of a fifth foreign migrant fisherman has been recovered after the collapse of a suspension bridge in northeastern Taiwan's Yilan County Tuesday morning (Oct. 1).

At around 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday, the Nanfang'ao Bridge in Yilan's Su'ao Township suddenly gave way, injuring at least 12 people. The bridge crushed three fishing boats beneath it, injuring and trapping a number of migrant fishermen on board the vessels, with the death toll now standing at five.

A total of 12 people have been sent to nearby hospitals since the disaster took place, six with serious injuries and four with minor injuries, in addition to two Coast Guard officers who were hurt during rescue operations. Six foreign fishermen were initially believed to be trapped in the boats under the bridge, five of whom have since been found to have perished.

An intensive search began on Tuesday for the missing fishermen. At 11:18 p.m., the remains of a 29-year-old Indonesian man identified as "Wartono" were found under the collapsed bridge, reported CNA.

At 11:34 p.m., the body of a 44-year-old Filipino man, Serencio Andree Abregana, was found nearby. The body of a 32-year-old Indonesian man identified as "Ersona" was found at 1:31 a.m. Wednesday morning, according to the report.

The remains of a fourth migrant worker were found at 8:45 a.m. on Wednesday morning. The deceased was identified as Filipino Impang George Jagmis, 47, according to CNA.

At 2:27 p.m. on Wednesday, the body of the fifth missing man was found beside the fishing vessel Hsin Tai Sheng No. 366 (新臺勝366號), reported UDN. The man has been identified as 28-year-old Indonesian Mohamad Domiri.

This leaves one fisherman, whom rescuers are holding out hope they can find alive. Two Coast Guard officers, who incurred minor lacerations and suffered breathing problems after inhaling oil fumes during rescue efforts, are now in good condition, according to the hospital.