LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Latest on a California earthquake (all times local):
Authorities say a July 4 earthquake in the Southern California desert may have killed a man in neighboring Nevada.
The magnitude 6.4 earthquake near Ridgecrest was felt far and wide.
The Nye County Sheriff's Department says deputies on Tuesday found a 56-year-old man pinned under a Jeep in Pahrump, about 150 miles (241 kilometers) from the quake's epicenter.
The man was last seen alive at a local gas station the day before the earthquake.
Sgt. Adam Tippets says it's believed the man was working on the Jeep, which apparently fell off of its jacks when the quake hit.
His name wasn't immediately released.
No other deaths or major injuries have been linked to the quake or to a 7.1 magnitude temblor in the same Mojave Desert area.
A sprawling military base in the Southern California desert remains closed to non-essential personnel as damage assessments continue following last week's powerful earthquakes.
Spokeswoman Margo Allen said Tuesday that teams have so far surveyed just 10% of the 1,200 facilities at Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake. It's unclear when personnel and their families will be able to return.
Two strong quakes — a 6.4 and a 7.1 — struck Thursday and Friday near Ridgecrest, just outside the 1.2-million-acre base in the Mojave Desert.
Water and gas service have been restored, but engineers are making sure buildings are safe to enter. Allen says the shaking cracked walls in a chapel and school and brought down commissary shelves.
She says one person suffered a minor foot injury.
Some personnel were evacuated to the naval base in Ventura County.