• Directory of Taiwan

Woman in southern Taiwan murdered, dismembered by live-in boyfriend

The 43 year old victim was reported missing Jan. 24, her dismembered body was discovered in Tainan's Barclay Memorial Park on Feb. 1

Police search Barclay Memorial Park in Tainan

Police search Barclay Memorial Park in Tainan (CNA photo)

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – A 31 year old man, surnamed Wu (吳) in Tainan was arrested for the murder and dismemberment of his live-in girlfriend on Feb. 1, after investigators were able to locate her body at Barclay Memorial Park in Tainan’s East District.

The 43 year old victim, surnamed Chang (張), was last seen on Jan. 8. According to reports, the suspect killed her late that night and dismembered her body the next day in their shared apartment’s bathroom.

Wu continued to go to his job at a metal working factory following Chang’s disappearance. It was only after a week of no word from Chang, that the woman’s co-workers and her son, who was away at university, began asking questions and seeking her whereabouts.

A missing person’s case was filed with the local police on Jan. 24, which led investigators to Wu. When initially approached by officers Wu denied any knowledge of her whereabouts.

Officers continued a missing person’s search until they discovered Chang’s abandoned car near Barclay Memorial Park on Feb. 1. Officers reportedly asked Chang’s son about the vehicle, and he stated that he had never seen his mother’s car so clean.

After an intensive search of the park close to the vehicle, officers discovered Chang’s dismembered remains. Chang’s body had been cut into seven large pieces, and placed into garbage bags, before being discarded in an area of tall grass and weeds in the park.

Woman in southern Taiwan murdered, dismembered by live-in boyfriend
The body parts were abandoned in the Barclay Memorial Park in Tainan (CNA Photo)

Officers immediately returned to find Wu and ask him about the car and what had happened before her disappearance. At first Wu remained calm and collected, but after being shown the warrant for his arrest, he began to shows signs of nervousness.

After being arrested, while en route to the station for interrogation, police were able to obtain a confession for the murder of Chang.

According to reports, on the evening of Jan. 8, Chang was preparing to go out to meet friends, which sparked anger and jealousy from Wu, who then attacked Chang with his bare hands. The precise cause of death has not yet been determined.

After murdering Chang, in order to dispose of the body, Wu went and purchased a saw on Jan. 9 to dismember Chang’s corpse. CNA reports that the arms were severed from the body, the legs were cut below the knees, and Chang’s torso was cut into two large pieces.

Wu reportedly first took the body parts to Barclay Memorial Park during the daytime, and was originally planning to bury the body, but the number of people in the area made him change his plans.

He then left the premise with the body parts in the trunk of the car, before returning in the evening and simply dumping Chang’s remains and fleeing the scene, reports UDN.

An autopsy will be performed to determine Chang’s precise cause of death.

Updated : 2021-12-08 19:10 GMT+08:00