Vatican insists no reports of sexual abuse against Argentine

In this Aug. 26, 2016 photo, former Bishop of Oran Gustavo Zanchetta participates in negotiations with border workers in Oran, Salta, Argentina. In Au

In this Aug. 26, 2016 photo, former Bishop of Oran Gustavo Zanchetta participates in negotiations with border workers in Oran, Salta, Argentina. In Au

VATICAN CITY (AP) — The Vatican is insisting that there were no accusations of sexual abuse against an Argentine bishop close to Pope Francis when he resigned in 2017 and was promoted to a job at the Vatican.

Vatican spokesman Alessandro Gisotti repeated Tuesday that the Vatican only received the first accusations of sexual abuse by Archbishop Gustavo Zanchetta a few months ago.

Zanchetta's former deputy, the Rev. Juan Jose Manzano, told The Associated Press last week that he sent the Vatican reports in 2015 and 2017 of alleged inappropriate behavior by Zanchetta that included taking naked selfies and misconduct with adult seminarians.

Manzano said those reports didn't constitute formal canonical complaints of sexual abuse, but were information he, another ex-vicar general and the seminary rector in Oran, Argentina, brought to the Vatican's attention.