SYDNEY, Nova Scotia (AP) — Officials in Canada say a 28-year-old Saudi Arabian man charged with sexually assaulting a Canadian woman has gone missing.
Nova Scotia's prosecution service said Monday that Mohammed Zuraibi Alzoabi had bail posted by the Saudi Arabian Embassy last year in the case involving allegations of sexual assault, assault and forcible confinement.
A court document says the sheriff unsuccessfully tried to locate Alzoabi last month. His lawyer is quoted as saying that he fled Canada even though police had seized his passport.
Veteran immigration lawyer Lee Cohen says the likeliest way Alzoabi would have left the country without a passport is with Saudi embassy-issued travel documents.
The Saudi Arabian Embassy has not responded to requests for comment.