TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – A host of Taiwanese designers and architects were recognized for their outstanding performance in the 2018 New York Design Awards, with great public works like the National Kaohsiung Center for the Arts and other sustainable domestic designs receiving Silver Awards.
A total of 12 structures designed in-part or completely by Taiwanese architects or interior designers were recognized.
The 2018 New York Design Awards winners were announced on Nov. 15, and the awards will be presented on Dec. 3. The awards recognize work which demonstrates creative problem solving in prioritizing positive user experiences.
The National Kaohsiung Centre for the Arts, also known as Weiwuying (衛武營), designed by Dutch firm Mecanoo, who also have an office in Kaohsiung, won the Silver Award in the public and institutional architecture category. The centre is the world’s largest single-roof performing arts center, and was opened by President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Oct. 13.
“The Wheel,” a four-person home by Architects Unchartered (深宇建築), has won international favor for its sustainable design, including the Silver Award in the public and institutional architecture category. The home uses sustainable materials and has little impact on its immediate environment.
“The Wheel” by Architects Unchartered. (Image from Taichung City Government)
Yuanlih Group (元利建設) was Taiwan’s most successful architectural firm, winning two Silver Awards in the mixed use category for their Taipei designs, “One Park Taipei,” that overlooks Da'an Forest Park and “Peace Palace,” which is also situated in the Da'an District.
ZK Interior Design (宇亮寬宏設計工程有限公司) was Taiwan’s most successful group of interior designers, winning two Silver Awards for their American-influenced B&B and another innovate domestic design.
“Urban Oasis” by ZK Interior Design. (Image from ZK Interior Design’s Facebook)
A summary of Taiwanese award winners at the 2018 New York Design Awards is outlined below.
Architecture – Mixed Use
- “One Park Taipei” by Yuanlih Group (元利建設)
- “Peace Palace” by Yuanlih Group (元利建設)
Architecture – Public & Institutional
- “The Wheel” by Architects Unchartered (深宇建築)
- “Weiwuying - National Kaohsiung Center for the Arts” by Mecanoo
Architecture – Residential – International
- “Light Brick House” by Da Yuan Architecture
Interior Design – International Corporate
- “Dignified Retirement Home” by Dong Lin Interior Design Construction (唐林建築室內設計)
Interior Design – International Hospitality
- “American Lift Style” by ZK Interior Design (宇亮寬宏設計工程有限公司)
- “Autumn of Freedom” by Dong Lin Interior Design Construction (唐林建築室內設計)
- “Classic” by Trang Day
Interior Design – International Residential
- “Fantasy” by Simplism Design Studio (簡約設計)
- “Urban Oasis” by ZK Interior Design (宇亮寬宏設計工程有限公司)
Interior Design – Public or Institutional
- “The Hideaway Journey” by Dix Design