Alexa

Suspected member of Italian terror group released from jail

Suspected member of Italian terror group released from jail

A suspected member of an Italian terror group that claimed responsibility for killing two government advisors has been released from prison, his lawyer said Thursday.
Fabio Matteini was arrested Dec. 9, accused of belonging to the new Red Brigades group. He left Parma's jail on Wednesday evening and went back to his home near Florence, said lawyer Massimo Focacci.
Focacci said Matteini is still being investigated and he is likely to be tried. Authorities have said he has acknowledged belonging to the terrorist group.
In Italy, suspects are often released pending trial if judges believe there is no risk of their escaping or committing crimes.
Matteini was convicted of subversive terrorist association and other charges in 1995, and released the following year.
His name turned up in the files of terrorist Cinzia Banelli, convicted in the fatal shootings of Massimo D'Antona in May 1999 and Marco Biagi in March 2002. Both men had been advising the government on labor market reforms that were bitterly contested by Italy's labor unions.
The new Red Brigades-Communist Combatant Party, which opposes Italy's foreign and labor policies, claimed responsibility for the killings. The Marxist-Leninist group is an offshoot of the radical leftist organization, the Red Brigades, which terrorized Italy in the 1970s and 1980s.


Updated : 2021-02-28 12:28 GMT+08:00