Alexa

Nearly 170 schoolchildren hospitalized in India after eating candies at birthday party

Nearly 170 schoolchildren hospitalized in India after eating candies at birthday party

Nearly 170 school children were hospitalized Tuesday with suspected food poisoning after eating peppermint candies offered by a schoolmate celebrating his birthday in western India, police said.
Teachers panicked when the students started vomiting and rushed them to hospital in Mekar, a town 550 kilometers (340 miles) north of Mumbai, the capital of western Maharashtra state, Rafique Sheikh, a police inspector, told The Associated Press.
A total of 108 students were put on saline drips and the rest allowed to go home after medical attention, said Sheikh.
Doctors said none of the children were in a serious condition, Sheikh said.
Police have seized stocks of candies and detained the shopkeeper selling them for questioning, the police officer said.


Updated : 2021-02-26 12:19 GMT+08:00