Alexa
  • Directory of Taiwan

Premier decides to exclude short-term Chinese students from NHI coverage

The Tsai administration decides to push for legislation that would only allow Chinese students seeking degrees in Taiwan to be covered by the National Health Insurance

  1027
Premier decides to exclude short-term Chinese students from NHI coverage

Premier Lin Chun and ruling Democratic Progressive Party legislators decided in a meeting on Thursday to push for legislation that would only allow Chinese students seeking degrees in Taiwan to benefit from the National Health Insurance (NHI) coverage, excluding short-term and exchange students.

The decision came after the Tsai Ing-wen administration decided to push for legislation to include Chinese students in Taiwan in the NHI coverage about a week ago.

Executive Yuan spokesman Hsu Kuo-yung said the meeting decided to amend the National Health Insurance Act so that a proviso that “only students with permit to enter Taiwan to seek degrees are eligible for the NHI coverage" will be added.

Chinese and foreign students who are eligible will have to pay the full premium in the future, Hsu said, adding that short-term and exchange students in Taiwan will not be covered by the NHI.

According to data of the Department of International and Corss-strait Education, currently there are 9,327 degree-seeking Chinese students in Taiwan for this semester (beginning September 2016), while the number of non-degree seeking Chinese students, including short-term and exchange students, is 15,448.

According to current regulations, foreign students studying in Taiwan only have to pay 60 percent of the NHI premium as Taiwan’s government foots the remaining 40 percent. But after the amendment takes effect, new foreign students, including overseas Chinese students, foreign students and Chinese students, will have to pay the full premium, Hsu said. But those who came before the amendment will not be affected, which means they will continue to enjoy the subsidy benefits, he added.


Updated : 2022-05-20 13:39 GMT+08:00