MADRID (AP) -- Madrid city officials have rejected Real Madrid's plans to upgrade the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium.
The city says it will only accept a remodeling proposal that doesn't affect the interests of local citizens.
A Spanish court earlier this year annulled permission granted to Real Madrid by the previous city government, saying it broke Spanish land use law.
The city said Wednesday that a new project will only be considered if it's "in the best interests of the general public."
Real Madrid wanted to remodel the stadium's exterior, and add a hotel and a shopping center.
Opened in 1947, the 80,000-capacity Bernabeu was last redeveloped for the 1982 World Cup, although it has received minor upgrades through the years.