Alexa
  • Directory of Taiwan

Taipei to slap heavy fine on rental after CO poisoning incident

Taipei to slap heavy fine on rental after CO poisoning incident

Taipei, Dec.11 (CNA) The Taipei City government said Friday it will slap a heavy fine on the operator of an unregistered rental apartment in the city's Wanhua District after foreign tourists staying in it came down with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

Four of the six members of a Singaporean family staying in the apartment rented out on a daily basis on Xining South Road were sent to Mackay Memorial Hospital after complaining of dizziness. They were in good condition after being treated.

Chien Yu-yen, head of the city's Department of Information and Tourism, said the agency will fine the unregistered operator NT$180,000 as early as Friday and will also check all short-term rentals in Wanhua District.

As of Friday, there have been 2,255 rooms available for rent suspected of operating illegally that have been reported to Taipei authorities in the years since they first came into being, Chien said.

A total of 476 rooms have been found to be illegal this year, with 59 tickets totaling NT$14.32 million in fines issued, she said.

As year-end festivities are quickly approaching, Chien urged tourists to be careful when arranging places to stay and confirm that their accommodations are legally registered.

Chen Ya-hui, a specialist with the department, said daily rentals not registered with the department will be fined between NT$180,000 and NT$900,000 according to the Act for the Development of Tourism. (By You Hsiang-kai and Lilian Wu)


Updated : 2021-09-17 03:31 GMT+08:00