Alexa
  • Directory of Taiwan

Singaporean tourists in good condition after suspected CO poisoning

Singaporean tourists in good condition after suspected CO poisoning

Four Singaporean tourists were in good condition after they were taken to the hospital for suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a rented studio apartment in downtown Taipei on Friday, police said.

Firefighters said they received reports early Friday morning that people staying in a building on Xining South Road near Ximenting may have suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning and sent 14 firefighters, four ambulances and two fire trucks to the scene.

They found a Singaporean family of six people staying in a studio apartment that is rented out on a daily basis with symptoms of dizziness and sent four of them to a hospital.

Police found the studio to be poorly ventilated and suggested the cause of the symptoms may have been carbon monoxide poisoning even if the heater -- the possible source of the poisoning -- was installed on a balcony.

An examination of the studio found high concentrations of carbon monoxide, and the studio apartment's landlord was taken to the police station for questioning to determine if negligence was involved. (By Liu Chien-pang and Lilian Wu)


Updated : 2021-09-24 17:35 GMT+08:00