Alexa
  • Directory of Taiwan

Police report defends action at MOE

Police report defends action at MOE

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – Police maintain that their actions during the student occupation of the Ministry of Education on July 23 were completely legal, according to a police report quoted by the media Tuesday.
A total of 33 people, including three journalists, were detained after they entered the ministry building during a protest against government changes to high-school curriculum guidelines. The incident provoked accusations of excessive force by the police, while Education Minister Wu Se-hwa was asked to drop his plan to take legal action against the intruders.
In an alleged report published by the Chinese-language Apple Daily, the police said that its actions, including the detentions of the students and the reporters, the restrictions on communication and the taking away of cell phones from the protesters were all completely legal, giving no hint that there would be an apology.
Taipei City Mayor Ko Wen-je apologized shortly after the incident, and promised new standard operating procedures would have to be drawn up, also to determine responsibility in such an event. At present, the city government, the city’s police, and the National Police Agency under the central government’s Ministry of Interior were not certain how to tackle such an intrusion, reports said.
The eight-page report had been completed on Monday, but despite promises by the mayor for more transparency in government, the document was still not available to the public online, the Apple Daily reported.
Zhongzheng First Precinct police chief Chang Chi-wen had called on his officers not to use violence and to protect the safety of the public and of the media, the report said. The illegal intrusion had been reported by the MOE and police completely followed the rules of the law when detaining the suspects, according to the report.
As to the three reporters, the police said that during questioning, the men said they had not been invited into the ministry building but had followed the protesters inside. More fact checking showed that they had spoken the truth.
The police had no media contact person on the scene because the protest had not been applied for and all reporters had been expected outside the ministry, the report said. When police evacuated the building in the early hours of July 24, outside journalists had been free to report on the events, according to the police.


Updated : 2021-09-21 06:18 GMT+08:00