KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) -- An Afghan official says the second round of official talks between representatives of the Kabul government and the Taliban, aimed at ending the 14-year war, will take place next week in China.
Mohammad Ismail Qasimyar of the Afghan High Peace Council, said Friday that the two sides will meet on July 30 in China. He says details, including who will attend, will be finalized in the coming days.
He says Kabul will request a temporary cease-fire. Fighting has intensified following the April launch of the Taliban warm-weather offensive.
The first round of official face-to-face talks took place in Islamabad on July 7, supervised by American and Chinese representatives.
It followed several informal contacts since Ashraf Ghani became president last year. Ghani has said that talks must be inclusive and transparent.