Alexa
  • Directory of Taiwan

Dust explosion victim's family donates funeral subsidy to survivors

Dust explosion victim's family donates funeral subsidy to survivors

Taipei, July 17 (CNA) The family of a 20-year-old man who died of severe burns after being engulfed in a flash fire at a water park in New Taipei last month has donated its funeral subsidy of NT$1 million (US$32,000) to others injured in the accident. "Leave (the money) to the injured who need medical care and rehabilitation therapy," the mother of Chen Tien-shun (???) said Friday. Chen passed away at his home in Banciao, New Taipei on July 6, shortly after his family decided to bring him home so the dying man could be with his family. Doctors at a local hospital had fought for 10 days without success to save the life of the college junior, who suffered burns to about 50 percent of his body. He was the third person to succumb to injuries sustained in the Formosa Fun Coast accident, which occurred on June 27. As of Friday, seven of the nearly 500 injured in the incident have died from severe burns, while 242 are still being treated at intensive care wards at hospitals, 183 of whom are in critical condition. The donation was revealed after New Taipei's Social Welfare Department discovered a deposit made in the name of Chen Tien-shun in a special bank account the city government opened to collect donations for relief aid to the dust explosion victims. Asked if the NT$1 million was sent by them, Chen's mother confirmed it was she who wired the money into the bank account, and expressed gratitude to the society which she said has been very generous in sending aid to the victims in the water park inferno. The money had been given to the family by officials of the New Taipei City government soon after Chen died. The department said that as of 11 a.m. Friday, there have been 11,390 donations totaling nearly NT$1.29 billion to the Formosa Coast Fun dust explosion relief bank account. (By Justin Su and Elizabeth Hsu)


Updated : 2021-09-26 00:39 GMT+08:00