KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) -- Afghan officials confirm that Taliban insurgents have taken control of the Chardara district in northern Kunduz province.
Mohammad Yusouf Ayubi, head of provincial council in Kunduz, said on Sunday that Taliban fighters established control of the district after two days of attacks on local security forces.
Sayed Sarwar Hussaini, spokesman for the provincial police chief, said that reinforcements are being dispatched and an operation to retake the district is imminent. Ayubi said local residents have fled their homes seeking safety.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the attack in an emailed statement and claimed heavy casualties among the Afghan security forces.
Afghan army and police forces have sustained heavy losses in the field against the Taliban following the departure of international combat forces at the end of last year.