MOSCOW (AP) -- The Ukrainian government and Russia-backed rebels are accusing each other of violating a cease-fire in eastern Ukraine.
Hopes for ending the 10-month long conflict surfaced after the cease-fire was announced on Sunday.
Separatist military spokesman Eduard Basurin said in a televised news conference on Monday that the government launched an artillery strike overnight on Horlivka, a town under rebel control.
Ukraine, however, blamed the attack on the rebels. Donetsk regional police chief Vyacheslav Abroskin said in a statement that the separatists shelled the town in order to derail the truce.
Both the separatists and the Ukrainian government reiterated their commitment to the cease-fire that was brokered last week in 16-hour talks involving the presidents of Russia, Ukraine as well as Western leaders.