Alexa

Berlin city government pledges new security assessment soon for canceled opera

Berlin city government pledges new security assessment soon for canceled opera

Berlin's city government said Thursday it will soon reassess the security risks associated with a Mozart opera that was canceled over fears it could anger Muslims, a move the city's Deutsche Oper requested before deciding whether to reverse its decision.
Opera director Kirsten Harms last week decided to drop four performances of "Idomeneo" in November after a vague warning relayed to her by Berlin's top security official that a scene featuring the severed heads of Jesus, Muhammad and Buddha could cause trouble.
Following widespread criticism, Harms has said she hopes to reinstate the opera _ but only with a satisfactory security plan in place.
"The risk assessment will happen soon," said Tatjana Pohl, a spokeswoman for Berlin's state interior ministry. She declined to elaborate on the timeframe, but said a security plan would be drawn up if the opera house then decided to stage the production.
Deutsche Oper spokesman Alexander Busche said the opera house was waiting for the risk assessment and reiterated that, even with new security guarantees, the opera could not be reinstated before December.
Hans Neuenfels' production premiered in 2003 at the Deutsche Oper and was last staged there in 2004. He has refused to remove the scene, which was meant as a statement against organized religion.


Updated : 2020-12-05 11:26 GMT+08:00