MUMBAI, India (AP) -- Indian officials say an old, seven-story residential building has collapsed in a Mumbai suburb and up to 10 people may be trapped under the rubble.
Disaster Response Force commander Alok Awasthi says the building had already been condemned as unsafe when it crashed down Friday into a huge pile of concrete slabs, rubble and dust.
Dozens of firefighters and emergency workers are digging through the rubble in search for survivors.
No casualties have been immediately reported
Aswathi says that while the building was officially uninhabited, some families were living there illegally. Another dozen or so people had set up makeshift homes at the base of the building in the Santacruz suburb of India's west-coast financial capital.