Alexa
  • Directory of Taiwan

Canadian woman dies of carbon monoxide poisoning (update)

Canadian woman dies of carbon monoxide poisoning (update)

Taipei, Dec. 30 (CNA) A Canadian tourist died in Taipei on Monday from carbon monoxide poisoning in a suspected illegal hostel where she was staying, according to Taipei police. A preliminary investigation by the police found that the tourist, along with five other local women, might have been exposed to carbon monoxide released from a typical natural gas hot water heater in the hostel -- which was nothing more than an apartment. The five local women, who notified the police after feeling dizzy, were brought to a hospital for treatment and later discharged. The deceased, identified only as "Lydia," was said to have checked into the three-bedroom apartment in downtown Taipei after arriving in the country on Dec. 27. She was due to leave Taiwan on Monday. The apartment was used illegally as a small hostel by two men who were renting the space and subletting it out on a daily basis, according to Apple Daily. The two have been questioned by the police. According to police, the hot water heater was mounted on the wall of the apartment's balcony -- the typical set-up in most Taipei apartments -- but instead of being well ventilated, the balcony was completely sealed from the outside. The accident is believed to have happened in the early morning hours when one of the four women staying overnight in the apartment took a shower. Carbon monoxide was released when the gas was not burned completely and drifted indoors because of the lack of ventilation. The four women all felt ill after waking up in the morning, and one of them called an aunt, asking her to come check the apartment. The aunt quickly felt dizzy after entering the room and called the police to check the premises. While going over the apartment, police discovered the Canadian woman lying unconscious alone in the bedroom next to the balcony. She did not have any vital signs when she was discovered, police said. According to the Taipei City Fire Department, the city has had 10 carbon monoxide poisoning accidents this year as of Dec. 30, which has caused three deaths and led another 46 people ill. (By Liu Chien-pang and Jay Chen)


Updated : 2021-07-27 08:22 GMT+08:00