Alexa
  • Directory of Taiwan

Canadian woman dies of carbon monoxide poisoning in Taipei

Canadian woman dies of carbon monoxide poisoning in Taipei

Taipei, Dec. 30 (CNA) A Canadian tourist died in Taipei on Monday from carbon monoxide poisoning in an illegal hostel where she was staying, according to Taipei police. A preliminary investigation by the police suggests that the tourist, along with five local women, might have been exposed to carbon monoxide released from a typical water boiler fueled by natural gas. The five local women, who notified the police after feeling dizzy, were brought to a hospital for treatment and later discharged. The deceased, identified only as "Lydia," was said to have checked into the three-bedroom apartment in downtown Taipei after arriving in the country on Dec. 27. She was due to leave Taiwan on Monday. The apartment is used illegally as a small hostel by two tenants, who have been questioned by the police. (By Liu Chien-pang and Jay Chen)


Updated : 2021-05-15 23:54 GMT+08:00