SEATTLE (AP) -- A military judge says a team of Army prosecutors can stay on for the sentencing of the U.S. soldier convicted in an Afghanistan massacre, even after they read documents they weren't supposed to.
Staff Sgt. Robert Bales pleaded guilty to the killing 16 Afghan civilians during nighttime raids last year.
His lawyers asked the judge on Tuesday to dismiss the prosecutors. Defense attorney John Henry Browne told The Associated Press that the judge sent a brief email Wednesday denying their motion.
Last month, the judge accidentally sent the prosecutors compelled statements Bales made to Army psychiatrists -- and they read it, even though Bales' lawyers said they should have known better.
Bales faces life in prison with the possibility of parole, or without it.