Alexa

$17M slated for Puerto Rico Head Start programs

US government pledges $17 million for largest operator of Head Start programs in Puerto Rico

$17M slated for Puerto Rico Head Start programs

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- The U.S. government has pledged $17 million to the largest operator of Head Start programs in Puerto Rico.

Resident Commissioner Pedro Pierluisi says the Administration for Childhood Care and Core Development will use the money to help run 682 of the 1,222 Head Start centers in the U.S. territory.

He said Tuesday that the funds were pledged by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

More than 34,000 students were enrolled in Head Start programs across Puerto Rico last year.

Head Start is a federal program approved in 1964 that targets poor children and their families and aims to provide educational opportunities as well as health and social services.


Updated : 2020-12-06 07:45 GMT+08:00