Alexa
  • Directory of Taiwan

US shooting suspect barred from court over beard

US shooting suspect barred from court over beard

A U.S. military judge again says the suspect in a deadly shooting spree is banned from court until he shaves his beard, but the issue won't delay his trial.
Col. Gregory Gross said Friday that top Army officials have rejected Maj. Nidal Hasan's request for a religious exemption due to his Islamic faith. An appeals court also denied a defense request to overturn the judge's decision last week to bar Hasan from hearings unless he shaves.
Hasan's beard violates Army regulations. He watched Friday's hearing via closed-circuit TV in a nearby room.
The Army psychiatrist is charged in the 2009 attack at Fort Hood that killed 13. He faces the death penalty if convicted.
The judge ruled Friday to not delay the trial, which is scheduled for Aug. 20.


Updated : 2021-06-25 06:58 GMT+08:00