Alexa

UN launches major South Sudan humanitarian effort

UN launches major South Sudan humanitarian effort

The United Nations has launched a major humanitarian emergency effort following intertribal violence in South Sudan that may have left thousands dead and some 50,000 people in urgent need of aid.
Martin Nesirky, spokesman for U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, says a rapid response plan is being finalized.
Violence broke out late last month between two South Sudanese tribes in and around the town of Pibor, sending tens of thousands of residents into the countryside.
Media reports have put the death toll as high as 3,000, but Nesirky said the U.N. could not confirm those reports.
On Tuesday, Lise Grande, the top U.N. official in the region, estimated the death toll in the "tens, perhaps the hundreds."


Updated : 2020-12-02 16:14 GMT+08:00