Alexa

UN, Haiti, Uruguay probe sexual assault

UN, Haiti, Uruguay probe sexual assault

The United Nations says the U.N., Haiti and Uruguay are investigating the alleged sexual assault of an 18-year-old Haitian by Uruguayan peacekeepers at their base on the south coast of Haiti.
U.N. deputy spokesman Eduardo del Buey told reporters Tuesday that the five alleged perpetrators have been confined to barracks, pending the outcome of the investigations. If the allegations are true, the U.N. expects them to be prosecuted, he said.
The alleged attack on July 20 became public last week when a video taken by cell phone was circulated and the U.N. announced an investigation. The Uruguayan military has called the incident a prank that got out of hand and says a preliminary U.N. investigation shows no evidence of rape.