Cuban authorities have released a well-known dissident after detaining him briefly as he and other opposition figures tried to block the eviction of a woman from a home in the central city of Santa Clara.
Guillermo Farinas told The Associated Press on Thursday he and 25 other opposition figures and local residents were taken into custody Wednesday afternoon, then released with a warning to stay out of trouble late in the evening.
"They accused us of making a public scandal," Farinas said in a telephone interview. He said authorities asked him to sign a document acknowledging he had been given a warning, but he refused.
Opposition figures are frequently detained by authorities, often to be released within hours.
Farinas, 49, staged a 134-day hunger strike last year to draw attention to the plight of activists, social critics and opposition leaders in Cuban jails. He was awarded the European Parliament's annual human rights prize, but Cuban authorities refused to grant him permission to attend the ceremony in Strasbourg, France.
The Cuban government had no comment on Farinas' brief detention.
Cuba has begun freeing many of the 52 jailed dissidents whose cause Farinas championed during his hunger strike, following a deal with the Roman Catholic Church. Just 11 remain behind bars, and church officials say they are optimistic the government will release the rest soon.