Alexa
  • Directory of Taiwan

Typhoon Conson reduces to storm on way to Vietnam

Typhoon Conson reduces to storm on way to Vietnam

A typhoon that left dozens dead in the Philippines and killed two in southern China wrecked several Vietnamese ships yesterday while churning toward northern Vietnam as a strong tropical storm.
China's state-run Xinhua News Agency said several Vietnamese ships had been wrecked off islands in the South China Sea. It cited Hainan's maritime affairs bureau as saying there was no word on whether anyone had died and rescue efforts were under way. A man answering the telephone in the maritime bureau said he was not authorized to talk to the media.
Typhoon Conson, China's first typhoon of the year, struck the southern resort island of Hainan on Friday. Xinhua said a falling billboard killed a motorcycle rider, and another toppled and buried a security guard under debris.
By 8 a.m. Saturday, Hainan's meteorological station said Conson was moving northwest over open water again and had downshifted into a strong tropical storm. It was expected to hit northern Vietnam on Saturday afternoon or evening and was moving at 12 miles (20km) an hour.
Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung has urged authorities in 23 northern and central provinces to ban ships and fishing trawlers from sailing.
Authorities were planning to evacuate some 137,000 people from high-risk areas in Vietnam's northern province of Thanh Hoa, said disaster official Nguyen Trong Hai.
"People in coastal villages and places of high risks of flash floods and landslides in 11 mountainous districts have been told to be ready for evacuation at any time," Hai said.
The national floods and storms control department said another 10,000 were being evacuated in three other northern provinces. An official in the northern port city of Hai Phong said 19,000 people from coastal districts were being moved, as well as 1,200 people on the island of Cat Hai.


Updated : 2021-07-29 08:54 GMT+08:00