Alexa
  • Directory of Taiwan

Taiwan trade body to focus promotions on China's 2nd-tier cities

TAITRA plans to help consumer electronics manufacturers take part in trade shows

Taiwan trade body to focus promotions on China's 2nd-tier cities

Taiwan's foremost semi-official trade promotion organization will assist local manufactures of consumer electronics to take part in trade fairs in China's second-tier cities this year, with the aim of boosting their products' visibility in the targeted cities.
The plan was mapped out after several Taiwanese electronics spare parts and flat panel manufacturers successfully tapped into the vast Chinese market by capitalizing on a subsidy program launched by China in 2009 to boost electronic appliance sales in rural areas, said Huang Wen-jung, deputy secretary-general of the Taiwan External Trade Development Council (TAITRA).
The subsidy program has been beneficial mainly to Taiwanese flat panel and spare parts producers, but not to its finished product manufacturers, Huang said.
Chinese products account for 80 percent of the country's total TV market, with the other 20 percent shared by Japan and South Korean products. Taiwan's TV manufacturers do not have much of a market share there, Huang added.
Therefore, TAITRA plans to help Taiwanese manufacturers take part in trade shows in China's second-tier cities, which include Tianjin, Jinan, Dongguan, Chongqing and Chengdu, as costs for promotion in first-tier cities are considered too high, said Huang.
Although Acer and Asus - Taiwan's two leading providers of computers - have a presence in China, it is much smaller than that of China's Lenovo, Huang went on, adding that there is a need to promote Taiwanese name brand products in China.
According to market research firm DisplaySearch, LCD TV shipments in China are set to top 33 million in 2010, up from 25 million in 2009. The shipments will reach 372 million in 2011, surpassing the total units projected for the whole North American market and making China the biggest LCD TV market in the world, Huang added.


Updated : 2021-10-22 09:32 GMT+08:00