Alexa
  • Directory of Taiwan

No games pull out for Australia

No games pull out for Australia

Australia will compete at next year's Commonwealth Games in India even if England withdraws over security concerns, Australian's Commonwealth Games chief Perry Crosswhite said Wednesday.
Crosswhite said he had no reason to question security arrangements for the New Delhi games, despite a London newspaper report citing a senior British government source as saying said there was "virtually no chance" England will compete in October.
London's Daily Telegraph reported British police and security advisers feared an England team would be targeted by Pakistani terrorists and the safety of athletes could not be guaranteed. If England withdraws Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland would almost certainly follow, the newspaper said.
England's Commonwealth Games officials insisted late Tuesday they have received no security warnings to indicate the team must withdraw from the New Delhi event.
"That is definitely not the case. Our current and strong intention is to field a team for the games in Delhi next year," England general team manager Ann Hogbin said in a statement to The Associated Press. "Of course, we have a duty of care to the athletes and other team members which we take very seriously.
American-born Crosswhite, a member of the commission overseeing games preparations, said Australia was still on course to field one of its largest-ever squads in New Delhi, featuring more than 400 athletes and officials. He said the games would likely proceed in spite of an English withdrawal.
"Absolutely. The games will happen. Whether it's only one team out of 71 nations, it won't be good for the games, but they will happen," Crosswhite said. "I have nothing new to change our view. Everything is on track to go.
"We will take the best advice we can get and at this stage it (security) is adequate."
Crosswhite said no concerns had been raised by potential team members over games security.
"I have not had one athlete, one manager, one coach .. .no one has contacted me with the view that they shouldn't be going," he said. "We don't want to force athletes to go, they have to make their own decision, but no one has raised it."
Security for the 2010 Commonwealth Games has been under scrutiny since last year's terrorist attacks in Mumbai, and an ambush of the Sri Lanka cricket team in Pakistan.
Crosswhite said he was pleased with what he had seen of security arrangements.
"I'm not a security expert, but they've employed people that are and the reports are good," he said. "These days security is a major issue everywhere."
More than 8,000 athletes from 71 nations are due at the New Delhi games which will run from Oct. 3 to 14.


Updated : 2021-08-05 14:47 GMT+08:00