Alexa

Rugby winger Tuqiri reportedly bound for France

Former Wallabies winger Lote Tuqiri, whose Australia contract has been terminated, is reportedly traveling to France to hold talks with two clubs.
News Limited newspapers said Thursday that the 29-year-old will meet with Bayonne _ a Top 14 club which includes former Australia rugby league star Craig Gower _ and Stade Francais, coached by ex-New South Wales coach and Wallabies forward Ewen McKenzie.
"I'm off to France for a few days to talk to some of the clubs over there," Tuqiri said. "I'll let everyone know what's going on soon enough."
Tuqiri received an undisclosed amount in an out-of-court settlement with the Australian Rugby Union on Monday after taking legal action over his contract termination. His 1 million Australian dollar ($800,000) contract, which was scheduled to end in 2012, was severed by the ARU in June following an alleged breach of team protocol.
He had been a regular feature of Wallabies lineups since switching from rugby league in 2003 and was part of two World Cup campaigns. He played rugby league for Australia and Fiji and was a key player for the Brisbane Broncos in the National Rugby League before switching to the 15-man code.
Tuqiri had previously been sanctioned for off-field matters, including a two-match ban and a fine for failing to attend a team medical and registering an alcohol reading at a training session in July 2007.
He played five rugby league tests for Australia before switching codes, playing 64 tests and scoring 30 tries for the Wallabies.


Updated : 2021-01-28 19:17 GMT+08:00