Alexa

Indonesian police detain suspect in hotel bombings

Indonesian police detain suspect in hotel bombings

Indonesian police detained a suspect who may have helped fund last month's hotel bombings in Jakarta that killed seven people.
Mohamad Jibril Abdurahman, a 30-year-old Indonesian, was taken into police custody late Tuesday, hours after police announced they were searching for him, National Police spokesman Maj. Gen. Nanan Sukarna said Wednesday.
He did not give any details on why police suspect Abdurahman was involved.
Police have detained five suspects so far in the July 17 attacks on the J.W. Marriott and Ritz-Carlton hotels, while five suspects remain at large.
Before he was detained, Abdurahman declined to comment when asked in a telephone interview with local TVOne television if he was involved in funding the bombings.
Abdurahman's father, Abu Jibril, said his son did not help fund the bombings.
"Everyday he asked me for money for lunch," Jibril said in a televised news conference in Jakarta on Wednesday. "How could he fund bombings?"
Jibril said his son helps manage a Web site and magazine that feature conflicts around the world involving Muslims.