Alexa

Indonesia seeks second man over bomb funds: police

Indonesia seeks second man over bomb funds: police

Indonesian police said yesterday they were seeking a second man suspected of arranging funds for twin suicide bombings against hotels in Jakarta last month.
Indonesian national Muhamad Jibril Abdurahman, alias Muhamad Ricky Ardan bin Mohammad Iqbal, was linked to the network that carried out the attacks on the JW Marriott and Ritz-Carlton hotels that killed nine people, police said.
"He's suspected of having a role in the overseas funding. The police are not yet able to reveal in detail the source of the financing," national police spokesman Nanan Soekarna told a press conference.
"He's linked to the group behind the Marriott and Ritz bombings."
Muhamad Jibril's addition to the wanted list brings to six the number of suspects being sought by police in connection to the July 17 attacks, including Malaysian alleged mastermind Noordin Mohammed Top. He is an accomplice of detained Saudi national Al Khalil Ali, who was arrested last week on suspicion of channeling funds from abroad to pay for the attacks, the spokesman said. Five other alleged members of the cell have been killed, including the two suicide bombers and the operational planner, police said. Five others have been arrested but one, an Indonesian called Iwan, was subsequently released.
Analysts have said that if the funding for the attacks came from abroad, a likely source would be al-Qaeda.


Updated : 2020-12-01 17:04 GMT+08:00