Oxfam GB director in Haiti resigns amid probe

Oxfam Great Britain's director in Haiti has voluntarily resigned as the aid agency investigates allegations of staff misconduct, a spokeswoman said Friday.
Roland Van Hauwermeiren felt he should step down because the accusations arose on his watch, Oxfam spokeswoman Ana Arendar said. Arendar declined to say when Hauwermeiren resigned, saying it was confidential.
The British charity announced last week that it had suspended several staff members pending the outcome of an internal probe. Arendar did not elaborate on the charges, citing an ongoing investigation that is expected to conclude by next month.
Oxfam received $100 million from donors after last year's earthquake. The group has used the money to try to improve sanitation amid a cholera outbreak, which health officials say has killed almost 6,000 people and sickened nearly 420,000 since it began last year.
Under Van Hauwermeiren's direction, Oxfam in Haiti has been one of the few international aid agencies to openly criticize relief efforts since the January 2010 earthquake.
On the anniversary of the quake, Van Hauwermeiren said in a report that a "year of indecision" had put Haiti's recovery "on hold."